Posted on: 26 December 2014Share
If the thought of cleaning your windows puts you in a state of dread, you may be making the task harder than it really is. Below you'll learn how you can clean your windows quickly, leave them streak free and never climb on a ladder again.
Clean With A Streak Free Cleaner
You may become aggravated when you spend the time cleaning your windows and then you notice streaks. To keep your windows streak free, wash them with this easy to make no streak solution.
- 2 gallons hot water
- ¼ cup powdered dishwasher detergent
- ½ cup dishwasher rinsing solution
- 4 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
Mix the above ingredients together in a bucket and use this solution when cleaning your windows to keep them from streaking. If there is a buildup of greasy stains on your windows, add ¼-cup ammonia to the solution to cut through the grease.
Use A Squeegee For Quick Cleaning
A squeegee is an apparatus with a rubber blade attached to a frame that has a handle. You can purchase a squeegee in various sizes at a home improvement store. To clean full size windows, buy a 10 or 12-inch stainless steel squeegee. For smaller or divided windows, purchase a 6-inch squeegee. When the blade wears out, purchase a replacement blade.
When you follow the instructions below, you'll learn how easy it is to clean your windows when using a squeegee.
- Put your regular window cleaner in a bucket or mix together the streak free cleaner mentioned above.
- Wet a sponge in the bucket, squeeze out the excess water, start at the top of the glass and clean your entire window with the sponge.
- Place the edge of the squeegee at the top right corner of the window and drag the squeegee across the glass from right to left.
After each pass with the squeegee, wipe off the edge of the blade with a dry cloth. If you forget this step, you'll have visible lines on your windows after they dry.
Install Double Hung Windows And Stay Grounded
This type of window is easy to clean, especially if you have second story windows. When you have double hung windows installed, you won't have to climb on a ladder to clean your outside windows. These windows tilt inward so you can clean them all from the inside of your house.
Below you'll learn the more information for cleaning your double hung windows.
- Press down on the lower sash while turning the lock latch that's located between the two window panes.
- Lift up the bottom sash three inches and unfasten both of the sash latches that are located on each side of the frame.
- Pull the top of the bottom sash inward until it's resting horizontally and release the sash latches.
- Repeat the above process with the top sash until it's parallel with the bottom sash.
- Clean the top glass first so that any water will drip onto the glass that's not yet cleaned.
- After cleaning both sections, lift up the top sash until the sash latches click back into place.
- Push up on the top sash until it's back into position and repeat the steps with the bottom sash.
If you have trouble holding up the bottom sash while cleaning the windows, place a chair against the window frame and rest the bottom sash on the back of the chair.
The next time you clean your windows, use this streak free cleaner and a squeegee to get the cleanest windows possible. To clean your windows effortlessly without using a ladder, purchase double hung replacement windows from a certified company.